Monday 26 March 2012

I 'heart' my pump...


Last night I had to get out an old acquaintance...my insulin pen. Every now and again I forget something to do with my diabetes, for example the other week I got five minutes down the road and I remembered I meant to put a box of test strips in my bag as I only had a few left. Then on Saturday I remembered I hadn't taken my insulin with my lunch until about 20 minutes after I had finished. I don't think I can blame baby brain, I'm convinced it happens to us all with diabetes as there is just so much to think about.

As I went to tuck into my dinner last night I reached down to get out my pump and remembered I only had a couple of units left in it, four in fact. I was frustrated and resigned to the fact my dinner would go cold as I filled my pump and changed my infusion set. Then I had a lightbulb moment, I could just inject. So I got out my insulin pen which has seen little if any action in the last couple of years, I loaded a cartridge and needle and then took my injection. My husband commented that he hadn't seen me do that in years and I agreed, it felt weird, I had to think about what I was doing to make sure I was doing it properly. It felt, let's say, old fashioned. I still used my technology and I inputted into my pump the amount of carbs I was about to eat and my blood glucose and then injected the amount my pump told me to take. As I mentioned in a post last week my doses have been rising therefore I am running out of insulin quicker so need to fill up my pump with more units (I only used to fill a cartridge with just over 100 units for 3 days).

The only problem I had following injecting rather than pumping was when I went to bed last night, my blood glucose was 5.6 mmol/L which was great but lower than I have been recenty before bed. Normally I would check how much insulin I had left in my system and decide if I needed to have a snack before bed. I couldn't do this so I had to take a guess and ate about 12g of carbs. This morning I was still on track at 5.9 mmol/L. It's features like this that make being on a pump so good, I used to 'suffer' from stacking a fair bit (giving more insulin before the previous dose is out of your system) and so being able to see my insulin on board on my pump was a big help for me.

I do love my pump, there is no way around it, I couldn't live without it now. I heart my pump!! My dad asked me last night what I would do if my pump stopped working whilst I was on holiday, I guess after a good cry and a period of devastation I would inject. But it wouldn't be a fun situation to be in, pregnant and on holiday. So please don't let me down pump, this is your big moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment